Saturday, January 14, 2012

Sherlock Holmes 2: A Game of Shadows


Fun fact 1: I haven’t seen the first movie. I refused to, after catching a glimpse of the trailer and thinking “This isn’t Sherlock Holmes!”.

Fun fact 2:
I was an idiot for doing that.

Summary: Watson, on the eve of his wedding, rejoins Mr. Holmes, in order to solve a number of recent crimes which will ultimately, help track down Professor Moriarty, that elusive, sadistic bastard! A few gypsies added to that mix and what you have is a very… explosive cocktail! (wink wink- but no spoilers!)

As I am told, the first part lacked in pace. Not that it was bad; people actually recommended it to me. But, as they said, it was terribly slow and the movie suffered from it. The story was good and so was the chemistry between the actors. (I never doubted Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law for a second!)

Well, “A Game of Shadows” does not, I repeat does NOT lack in pace. Granted, the story may be a little thin buuuut… for once, focusing on the action sequences and wit (both in terms of humour and intellect), doesn’t harm the outcome, which is a very entertaining film! It’s been a while since I’ve enjoyed a movie and this is actually refreshing.

Guy Ritchie’s direction was very, very good in action, mystery and emotional scenes. No problems there. Performances… Well, what do you expect from Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law? And Jared Harris and Stephen Fry and that amazingly charming Noomi Rapace? They were all wonderful. Absolutely exciting to watch! Also, great work done on the costumes.

Once you push prejudice aside, Sherlock Holmes will not disappoint you. Open your mind, prepare yourself for fun and I bet you will enjoy it.

(This review was originally posted at Crows n Bones, where I write under the nickname "Lu".)

0 claims: