Thursday, January 26, 2012

One Day (might contain peanuts and SPOILERS)


I'm a sucker for romantic films. Drama is what makes me tick, to be honest. Drama and tragedy. I have cried my eyes out over such stupid films as A Walk to Remember and the likes of it. But I know that a movie is actually good when I can't cry over it. Which is what happened with this one. There were many moments that were good enough to let a tear crawl down your cheek; only the sadness was too much for tears in the end. You know, that feeling when you are soooo sad and you know a good cry session will help get the weight off your chest but there's not a single tear in sight? Yeah...

So... The movie follows Dexter (Jim Sturgess) and Emma(Anne Hathaway- I freaking love that woman! Seriously, if I were a man I would ask her to marry me!) throughout their friendship, focusing on a certain day each year. The ups, the downs, the mess of it all... What is interesting though is that it's a very realistic portrayal (as realistic as they come in romantic films, that is) of a  relationship between a man and a woman. Sometimes they're friends, sometimes they're not. But there is always luuuuuurve.

Me and my friend kept our fingers crossed for the couple to actually make it in the end. I think we squeed in girliness a couple of times. We cursed Dexter, we loved Emma, we pitied them both and just about when we were ready to let out a sigh of relief, an uneasy feeling settled in our hearts. Having seen more than our fair share of drama and romance, we knew something was going to fall apart. Because that's life for you. Just when you think you got it good, life points a finger at you and laughs.

Don't get me wrong. It was a very good movie (Not as exciting as A Game of Shadows, but still pretty good). Stellar performances. The musical score wasn't all that awesome but it got the job done. Cinematography? Oh, my God, yes! Then again, Paris... London... How can those two cities look bad? I don't think they could. London is always a good reason to watch a movie.

If you want to feel your heart heavy, grief threatening to consume you but still manage to make it out alive, you should watch it. No, you should watch it anyway. It was nice.
(Anne Hathaway, if you ever read this-yeah, I can dream, can't I?- I LOVE YOU! You rock! So much!)

P.S: Do NOT try to contradict me. Drama IS what makes the world go around. If your opinion is different, that's ok. But I know better.
:P

0 claims: