Saturday, March 3, 2012

Word of the day (And a bonus rant!)

Favour (noun).

a.an approving attitude; good will.
b.an act performed out of good will, generosity, or mercy.
c.prejudice and partiality; favouritism.
d.a condition of being regarded with approval or good will (esp in the phrases "in favour", "out of favour").
e.Archaic leave; permission.
f.a token of love, goodwill, etc.
g.a small gift or toy given to a guest at a party.

as defined in The Free Dictionary.

Now, let's focus on definition b... As in, "Can you do me a favour?" "Sure!". Doing me a favour means you are willing to do something I asked you to do, in the way that I want it to be done. How can I make it more clear ? Let's see...

-I really hate to ask you this (mainly because I know you're going to give me such a hard time afterwards!) but will you drive me and my dog to the vet? She's having surgery.
-Hmph... Fine, okay...
-Why, thank you! (I don't drive so I'm genuinely grateful.)

Two days later (day of surgery)...
-Ask the vet if we can go a couple of hours earlier than planned.
-Sorry, he says it's not possible.
-FUCK! You really fucked up my plans for the day, you know that? FUCK!
-Ok, I'll see if I can find someone else to drive me.
-No! I'm driving you but FUCK! I'm yelling in your ear to demonstrate how angry I am! Of course I'll drive you and also, yell at you the entire time! FUCK!

Did you think for a second that doing me a favour should be pleasant and convenient for you? That's not how it works! If that was the case, then I'd be doing you a favour! Next time, just say "fucking no" from the start ! Don't yell at me on the phone or in person, simply because you had things to do but failed at scheduling them properly. I told you I needed your help TWO DAYS AGO! Figure something out! I can't plan your day for you!

And it's not even considered a favour anymore! It was torment! As if it wasn't enough that I was worried for my dog! I also felt guilty for messing with your plans (Plans? Ha!) even though your behaviour was both insulting and infuriating!

You know what? You won't have to say "no" next time because I'll simply never ask you for anything AGAIN! At some point, you'll be crying, begging to do me a favour and I'll just say "No, thank you." because you made so much fuss, it was unbelievable! Twenty freaking minutes in the car and I felt like blowing my brains out!

Still, thanks. (You ass.)

2 claims:

Μικρός Μπετόβεν said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

IS THE DOG OK?

Lu said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

@Μικρός Μπετόβεν
Yes, she's fine. In pain still but she will be okay. Thanks for asking! :)