Tuesday, March 13, 2012

What's your sign?


Let me tell you, right now, I do not particularly care about zodiac signs and horoscopes although I do ask people what their signs are when I first meet them. I find it is a good way to begin a conversation whether the other person(s) believes in that astrological mumbo jumbo or not. It's an easy enough question and it does "break the ice" quite efficiently. I seldom read my horoscope and when I do, it's because I just happened upon that section in a magazine or newspaper. That said, I don't know what possessed me to check out my zodiac sign today... Did it happen by accident? Did I have nothing better to do? I honestly have no idea!

Never in my life will I accept that the position of stars and planets at the moment of one's birth has any effect on their character. I am willing to go as far as believing that it may affect them in a more subtle way and I can't really explain how... After all, humans are a part of nature and it only sounds reasonable that we affect nature and vice versa. But aren't we unique, each and every one of us, even when we have things in common? Aren't we complex and odd and wonderful? Can a chart based on our date and hour of birth really reveal our entire personality to another human being? I don't think that's possible. Do you?

Even with my firm belief in the absurdity of zodiac signs, I was a bit surprised when upon reading an analysis (if you could call that an analysis) of the Capricorn woman, I saw too much of me in the description. It is purely coincidental, of course but worth mentioning, I should think. As I've said before, I know my flaws. And they were all there. That was a reason to keep reading. (Anyone can tell you good things about your person to keep you interested in what they have to say but it takes a true master to get you to pay attention when they're not being kind.)

"The swings in mood are not the only reason some Capricorns deserve the adjective based on their name - capricious. They can be surprisingly and suddenly witty and subtle for the quiet, reserved individuals they seem to be, and they also have a tendency to ruin things by unexpected and utterly irresponsible bouts of flippancy." (Yes, I do have that tendency. More often than not. And as for the mood swings... You wouldn't want to be there when they happen.)

"Their intellects are sometimes very subtle. They think profoundly and deeply, throughly exploring all possibilities before deciding on a 'safe' alternative. They have good memories and an insatiable yet methodical desire for knowledge. They are rational, logical and clearheaded, have good concentration, delight in debate in which they can show off their cleverness by luring their adversaries into traps and confounding them with logic." (You may argue that this isn't a flaw. Let me correct you. This trait can ruin relationships. It has.)

"In their personal relationships they are often ill-at-ease, if not downright unhappy. They are somewhat self-centered but not excessively so, wary and cautious around people they do not know very well, preferring not to meddle with others and in turn not to allow interference with themselves, thus they tend to attract people who do not understand them. Casual acquaintances they will treat with diplomacy, tact and, above all, reticence. They make few good friends but are intensely loyal to those they do make, and they can become bitter, and powerful enemies." (Yes, yes and yes. And that causes extreme loneliness. Sometimes by choice, true, but mostly, because of my inability to interact with others.)

LIKES
-Reliability
-Professionalism
-Knowing what you discuss
-Purpose

DISLIKES
-Wild Schemes
-Go-nowhere jobs
-Ridicule

source: Astrology Online

Based on this, you have gained knowledge about some parts of my character. But can you claim that you really know me? Do I even really know my self? And would I know you, if I looked up your sign?

2 claims:

Anonymous said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Look mine up and we'll compare:D

I agree, I can't bring myself to believe that we can fit people in 12^12 (star sign and ascendants) categories. But I have to admit that sometimes I read the predictions on purpose. I laug at how generic they can be but sometimes they are absolutely and terrifyingly spot on. Especially when they describe key characteristics. I am not a typical Cancer and I can see myself in many other star signs, but sometimes... just wow.

And of course you can't claim you know a person because of their sign :)

Lu said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

@Harry Victor Saxon
It's preeeetty accurate...
http://www.astrology-online.com/cancer.htm
Being generic is the key to this science. Most of the time, a description can match everybody's character! (I could be wrong but I'm usually not. :P)