Sunday, April 21, 2013

Ah, yes, poetry!

When I'm feeling blue (which is an understatement in this case, because I've cried everyday of the past week and I see no signs of it stopping soon...) music and poetry helps. Well, sometimes it does. It hasn't helped through this particular phase but I'm getting there. Today (or rather, tonight) I have some of Sarah Teasdale's poetry for you. Lovely, lovely Sarah Teasdale has been keeping me company lately. Enjoy!


-Like Barley Bending

Like barley bending
In low fields by the sea,
Singing in hard wind
Ceaselessly;

Like barley bending
And rising again,
So would I, unbroken,
Rise from pain;

So would I softly,
Day long, night long,
Change my sorrow
Into song.


-A Cry

Oh, there are eyes that he can see,
And hands to make his hands rejoice,
But to my lover I must be
Only a voice,

Oh, there are breasts to bear his head,
And lips whereon his lips can lie,
But I must be till I am dead
Only a cry.


-April

The roofs are shining from the rain,
The sparrows twitter as they fly,
And with a windy April grace
The little clouds go by.

Yet the back-yards are bare and brown
With only one unchanging tree--
I could not be so sure of spring
Save that it sings in me.


-Buried Love

I have come to bury Love
Beneath a tree,
In the forest tall and black
Where none can see.

I shall put no flowers at his head,
Nor stone at his feet,
For the mouth I loved so much
Was bittersweet.

I shall go no more to his grave,
For the woods are cold.
I shall gather as much of joy
As my hands can hold.

I shall stay all day in the sun
Where the wide winds blow,--
But oh, I shall cry at night
When none will know.


 -Faces

People that I meet and pass
In the city's broken roar,
Faces that I lose so soon
And have never found before,

Do you know how much you tell
In the meeting of our eyes,
How ashamed I am, and sad
To have pierced your poor disguise?

Secrets rushing without sound
Crying from your hiding places--
Let me go, I cannot bear
The sorrow of the passing faces.

--People in the restless street,
Can it be, oh can it be
In the meeting of our eyes
That you know as much of me?

2 claims:

Μικρός Μπετόβεν said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

what really helped me was a funny video of a kitty

Lu said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

@Μικρός Μπετόβεν
I have a funny kitty and a funny dog here at home. They don't help much but I'll try it your way next time, might work.