Monday, January 4, 2010

As of January 1st...

... I am 25 years old. I don't feel any different. I've said that before, I am no better and no wiser; the only fact I can be sure of. Is 25 supposed to be a big event? I remember when I was still 17 and counting the days until New Year's Day, when I would turn 18 and I was so excited! But when it finally happened, it didn't seem so important anymore. I was 18 and I was the same and the world was the same and nothing had changed.

That was the day I decided I don't like my birthday. I stopped celebrating them (although I always welcome the presents because I am a material girl...) and I stopped getting excited. People think I am strange. I never said I wasn't. So, I made a list! (Two lists, to be accurate.)

Good things about birthdays:
- Presents (of course!)
- Getting dressed up and...
- ... having a party or...
- ... taking your friends out to celebrate
- having lived another year
- birthday cakes
- people who remember you and wish you a "happy birthday"

Bad things about birthdays:
- having lived another year (barely making it through)
- people who you haven't talked to in ages, suddenly remember you and wish you a "happy birthday"
- people who insist that you have to celebrate even if you don't feel like it
- people who keep saying that you are now older but treat you like you're no more than 5
- the world, being the same
- yourself, being the same
- getting older (I don't care about that really but it should be on the list)
- looking older (the previous comment applies here)
- presents you don't like (it's the thought that counts but still...)
- awful or ridiculous birthday cakes


Maybe both my lists could be longer but I don't want people to think I'm far more strange than I actually am, mainly because the second list would be the one getting longer.

Having said that, my birthday this year was comfortable enough, despite the fact that I would rather have stayed in bed and done nothing and talked to no one. But I am a year older and I keep wondering about life: Is that all? Meh... :)


Happy New Year!

0 claims: